I'm just a girl, sitting in front of a computer, asking you to read this.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Recipe: The Best Cranberry Sauce Ever? Maybe.

I love berries. All of them. If something has berries in it, chances are I'll eat it. One of my favorite things about fall and winter? Cranberry season! Cranberry breads, cranberry sauces...they're all wonderful.





My favorite part of Thanksgiving and Christmas are the cranberries sauces. Yes, plural. We usually have two options at Thanksgiving: a hot, savory sauce and a chilled sauce that is also flavored with orange zest. As much as I love both, I must say the savory one takes the prize in the favorite cranberry concoction category.

So if you're looking for a new recipe to try this holiday season, here's the fantastic savory cranberry sauce recipe. Its great as a topping on turkey or roast chicken!

This recipe was originally printed in December 2003 edition of Everyday Food, but my family has made some alterations to it. So here is our version of the recipe:

What you'll need:
1 tablespoon butter

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1/2 teaspoon dried sage

2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

2 cups cranberries

1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste

salt and pepper for seasoning (optional)

1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until golden (stirring occasionally), about 8 minutes. Add in the sage and thyme, cook for another minute.

2. Add broth, let simmer until its reduced to about 1 1/2 cups. This takes about 10-15 minutes.

3. Add in the cranberries and sugar, bring to a boil so that the cranberries begin to burst. Let it boil until all of the cranberries have burst and the sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper as you see fit, and voila! My very favorite cranberry sauce. It's most delicious when spooned over turkey or chicken.

I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!

1 comment:

© Little Blog on the Internet, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena